Monday, 27 February 2017

Keeping your flowers alive - A DIY

Other than diamonds, flowers are girls best friend. My initial thought about flowers was, they wilted and they die in a day, might as well get me something that will last me a year. Unfortunately when you receive flowers from someone special, it does not work like that anymore. You try your best to extend the life of your precious bouquet.


I was surprise receiving a long box on a Valentine's. I was even more surprise that it was flowers and they are not in bouquet. What made it even more surprising is that it came with a packet of things that look like a silica beads that from now on we shall call flower food. Whaaaat?? I continue to read the instruction on the box and found out that flower food will extend the life of this precious flowers. Did not mentioned until when though.


So it got me thinking, what if this really works (and it does!), can I make this flower food myself? Instead of having to buy the flowers from the florist just to get the flower food and pay premium price. Thank you google for it answered my question. Hahaha.

You can actually make your own flower food and it is pretty simple! All you need is:
  1. 1 teaspoon sugar;
  2. 1 teaspoon bleach (I was skeptical too);
  3. 1 teaspoon lemon or lime juice; and
  4. Quart lukewarm water.
Mix everything in lukewarm water as lukewarm water is said to help with the absorption of the liquid. There are few things to remember too, like:
  • To freshly snip the stem of your flowers diagonally before putting them in the water.
  • Lukewarm water should not be used for spring bulb flowers like tulips, use cold instead.
  • The bleach will kill fungi.
  • To avoid sunlight and warm temperature.
  • To avoid keeping your flowers near fruits as it will make your flower wilt faster.
  • To enjoy your pretty flowers!
I manage to extend the life of my pretty flowers for 10 days and this is how it looked.


Just in case you are curious. My flowers are from Blossom This.


 Nicole_